01 Jul Diligimus Cognition (We love knowledge) – 7
1) With its roots in France, this word generally refers to the principle or practice of unselfish concern for or devotion to the welfare of others.
In ethology, this means behaviour by an animal that may be to its disadvantage but that benefit others of its kind. What word?
2) Deuteromycota, are fungi which do not fit into the commonly established taxonomic classifications of fungi that are based on biological species concepts or morphological characteristics of sexual structures because their sexual form of reproduction has never been observed; hence they are named as “____________ fungi.”
3) In the movie My Name is Khan, the protagonist stresses on the correct pronunciation of his name, urging people to use the flap attached to the entrance of the larynx. How do we know this flap that is made up of elastic cartilage?
4) It is a small variety of poultry specially chickens that is suitable for smaller backyards as they do not need as much space as other breeds. Name this variety which also gives the name to a class in boxing for boxers who weigh above 115 pounds (52.163 kg). It is also the name of a major publishing house in the world of books and novels.
5) Give me a six lettered word/noun from the English vocabulary which can also be added before or after each of the things represented by the pictures below:
6) In Greek mythology, ________ is the personification of the rainbow and messenger of the gods. She is also known as one of the goddesses of the sea and the sky. Fill in the blanks with the word which is also the name of the part that imparts colour to your organ of sight.
7) Biogenetic law or embryological parallelism is a largely discredited biological hypothesis that in developing from embryo to adult, animals go through stages resembling or representing successive stages in the evolution of their remote ancestors.
Which three word phrase by Ernst Haeckel defines Biogenetic law?
8) One of the offspring’s of Typhon and Echidna, X was usually depicted as a lion, with the head of a goat arising from its back, and a tail that ended in a snake’s head. Name this mythical creature.
9) __________ is one of the five basic tastes (together with sweet, sour, bitter and salty). _________ is an appetitive taste and is described as a savoury or meaty taste. It can be tasted in cheese and soy sauce. Monosodium glutamate (MSG) produces a strong _______ taste. Fill in the blank.
5) Pic 1: Steps of Polymerase Chain reaction
Pic 2: Bacteria
Pic 3: Ant
Connection is Colony as in Colony PCR, Bacterial colony and colony of ants.
7) Ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny
10) Dr. Ranvier of the Ranvier Node in nerve cells.
South Australia = SA + node (SA node of heart).
A+ node =Anode
Inter Milan jersey= Inter + node Internode in plants.
AV cable= AV + node (AV node of heart)
So the connection is Node.
© Salik Miskat Borbora