30 Mar Mathematics Quiz
Here are a few questions related to mathematics:
- In a mathematical context, which city is famous for its bridges ?
- Which city's towers are famous in mathematics ?
- Where was de Morgan born ?
- Where is Leonhard Euler buried ?
- Where was the first International Congress of Mathematicians (ICM) held ?
- Where does the first, lady recipient of the Fields Medal work ?
- Where would you find the earliest recorded symbol for zero, engraved on a stone ?
- Al Khowarizmi was the Director of this ``House of knowledge (or wisdom)'' situated in ... ?
- From which city did Abel receive news of his job appointment, three days after his death ?
- A politician from this state is considered to be the only President of a nation who was also a mathematician. Which state is that ?
- This amazing mathematician won a Nobel Prize (in literature), and was later imprisoned (at the age of 89). Where did this incredible incident happen ?
Check the answers below to test how much you got right:
- Konigsburg. Graph theory. Eulerean circuits.
- Hanoi. Theory of recursion.
- Madurai, India (in 1806). Famous mathematician and logician.
- Saint-Petersburg, Russia. Founder of graph theory.
- Zurich (August 1897). major awards, medals, and prizes in mathematics are presented at ICM, e.g. The Fields Medal, the Nevanlinna Prize, the Gauss Prize, and the Chern Medal.
- Stanford University. In 2014, Maryam Mirzakhani became both the first woman and the first Iranian honored with the Fields Medal, the most prestigious award in mathematics.
- Gwalior, India. (9th century)
- Baghdad. Al Khowarizmi, Persian mathematician who introduced the decimal positional number system from India, to the Western world. The name of his magnum-opus is at the origin of terms like algebra, algorithms.
- Ohio. James Abram Garfield
- Brixton, Inner South London. Bertrand Russell (1872-1970)
The following two tabs change content below.
Latest posts by Gonit Sora (see all)
- Top Revision Techniques in the Age of Digital Learning - May 18, 2017
- Few Problems - 3 - May 10, 2017
- Yves Meyer receives the 2017 Abel Prize - March 21, 2017