26 Feb Quiz Set 3: National Science Day 2017
Here is the third set of 7 questions. You have 24 hours (until 1159 hours 27th February 2017) to send your answers via email to email@example.com. Send only one email, if multiple emails are sent then the last email will be counted towards the score. The results with answers will be declared sometime on the 28th of February, 2017. The answers for this set will be announced with the final results.
1. The metal whose name is derived from a word meaning 'shiny' or 'white' is the only one to have given it's name to 'something'. While the reddish-orange metal which was first mined in the Roman Era in a particular country is believed to have been named after the country. Some sources also believe that it is the other way around, the country being named after the metal. Whichever account you believe, what is the common distinction that these share as far as etymology goes? (Hint: Think easy.)
2. This is a page of a notebook belonging to X, depicting his work on Y. His inspiration for Y came from mathematics and crystallography. Identify the mathematical problem that is being solved in this page (and some subsequent pages, not shown here), solve for X and Y. (Half points for the correct mathematical problem, half points for X and Y, no points for only X or only Y)
3. The person on the right is often miscredited with something that the person on the left did. What?
4. Proposed in 2014, in an article that appeared in Genome Biology, the formula for the _______ index is . Here is the number of X of a particular person and is the number of citations for that person. According to the article, people with the _________ index of greater than 5 could be considered as 'Science __________'. Fill in the blanks and solve for X. (No half points here)
5. The following is an example of an 'ancient' internet tradition. What? Who started it?
-----BEGIN CODE BLOCK-----
GM d+ s: a- C++ UL P+ L++ E W+++ N o-- K- w---
PS PGP- !tv b++ DI
G+ e+++ h+ r++ y+
------END CODE BLOCK------
6. What is the following video doing in a 'science' quiz?
7. Which scientific principle is being restated here in a different form?
Latest posts by Manjil Saikia (see all)
- Quiz Answers and Results: National Science Day 2017 - March 1, 2017
- Quiz Set 3: National Science Day 2017 - February 26, 2017
- Quiz Set 2: National Science Day 2017 - February 25, 2017