18 Jul Science Quiz - 1
1) Chandras’ Chemical Enterprises Pvt Ltd. manufactures Fixobond, Yamapoxy etc among other products. The company is head quartered at Kolkata. Name the most famous product from this company which shares its name with the projections of a non-dividing cell in the human body.
2) Ek Doctor Ki Maut is a 1990 award winning film, which depicts the ostracism, bureaucratic negligence, reprimand and insult of a doctor and his research, instead of recognition. This movie is loosely based on the life of Dr. Subhash Mukhopadhyay, an Indian Physician who pioneered the _________ treatment in INDIA.FITB
3) Sir Joseph X was a British surgeon and a pioneer of antiseptic surgery. He has been immortalized after a certain brand of mouth wash was named after him. Give me X or the brand of mouthwash.
4) Considered to be an aphrodisiac in its powdered form, X is actually made up of keratin consisting of compacted mass of hairs that continues to grow throughout the animal’s lifetime.
5) Designed by world-renowned US architects SOM, Skidmore Owings & Merrill and constructed by Leighton of Australia, _____________ is being developed in a phased manner by the TATA group. Currently two buildings of this place: Hardy Tower and Carr Tower are fully occupied by some of the top companies of the world.
6) The local name of this particular flower is derived from its characteristic foul smell as the flower smells like rotting flesh. Identify the flower which is also the official state flower of Indonesia.
7) X is a small village in Ladakh, Jammu and Kashmir. The conditions at X are excellent for visible, infrared and submillimeter observations throughout the year. Housing the Indian Astronomical Observatory, X will be the home to Major Atmospheric Cerenkov Experiment Telescope (the world's largest telescope at the highest altitude), the second largest gamma ray telescope in the world. Give me X.
8) Born in Iowa, USA, this particular biologist was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1970 in recognition of his contributions to world peace through increasing food supply. Name this famous scientist.
9) Where do we find the famous inscription: “Inventas vitam juvat excoluisse per artes” which means “And they who bettered life on earth by their newly found mastery.”
10) According to description given in the website, the logo of this premier R & D centre from India may have various meanings. Designed by Mr. Montosh Lall, a 1983 graduate of the J.J. Institute of Applied Art in Mumbai, the logo essentially consists of three tapering bands curving clockwise and enclosing a solid circle. Identify the institute.
11) Which class of micro organisms is often used by aquarium hobbyists to generate carbon dioxide (CO2) to nourish plants in planted aquaria?
2) In vitro fertilization.
3) Listerine and Joseph Lister.
4) Rhino horn.
5) Ramanujan IT city.
6) Rafflesia (The largest flower in the world).
8) Norman Borlaug.
9) On the Nobel Prize medal (Physics, Chemistry and Physiology).
10) TIFR (Tata Institute of Fundamental Research).