04 Feb Science Quiz - 2
1) Charles H. Townes’ inspiration for the predecessor of the X came to him while sitting on a park bench, waiting for a restaurant to open for breakfast.
On the tranquil morning hours of April 26, 1951, Townes scribbled a theory on scrap paper that would lead to the X, the invention he’s known for and which transformed everyday life and led to other scientific discoveries.
What is X?
2) X’s returns to the inner Solar System have been observed and recorded by astronomers since at least 240 BC. Clear records of the X’s appearances were made by Chinese, Babylonian, and medieval European chroniclers, but were not recognized as reappearances of the same object at the time. X’s periodicity was first determined in 1705 by English astronomer Edmond X, after whom it is now named.
What is X?
3) The organic compound shown here is an intermediate chemical in the production of carbamate pesticides (such as carbaryl, carbofuran, methomyl and aldicarb). It has also been used in the production of rubbers and adhesives. As a highly toxic and irritating material, it is extremely hazardous to human health. It was the principal toxicant involved in which famous industrial disaster?
4) In geometry, the X is the four-dimensional analog of the cube; the X is to the cube as the cube is to the square. According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the word X was coined and first used in 1888 by Charles Howard Hinton in his book A New Era of Thought, from the Greek word for ‘four rays’, referring to the four lines from each vertex to other vertices.
5) The phrase has nothing to do with the actual color of the ‘object’ it is related to, although it may occur in certain atmospheric conditions. According to Google Calculator it is equal to hertz. Which phrase?
6) The couple shown here first met in 1963. While attending a party, astrophysics student X meets Jane Wilde, a fellow student at Cambridge University who is studying literature. They subsequently begin a relationship. Which 2014 film depicts the story of their relationship?
7) Her name is Maryam Mirzakhani, presently a professor in Stanford University. In 2014, Mirzakhani became the first woman honored with which prestigious prize?
8) During 1933, George Szekeres and several other students met frequently in Budapest to discuss mathematics. At one of these meetings, Esther Klein proposed the following problem:
Given five points in the plane in general position, prove that four of them form a convex quadrilateral.
After allowing George, Paul Erdős, and the other students to scratch their heads for some time, Esther explained her proof. Subsequently, George and Paul wrote a paper (1935) that generalizes this result; it is regarded as one of the foundational works in the field of combinatorial geometry. Erdős dubbed the original problem the X problem because it resulted in George and Esther's marriage in 1937.
Name this famous mathematical problem.
9) The term X is commonly used for a loudspeaker drive designed to produce low frequency sounds, typically from around 40 hertz up to about a kilohertz or higher. The name is from the onomatopoeic English word for a dog's bark.
Y is a special type of loudspeaker (usually dome or horn-type) that is designed to produce high audio frequencies, typically from around 2,000 Hz to 20,000 Hz. The name is derived from the high pitched sounds made by some birds.
Name both X and Y.
10) During the May 2011 Greek protests, this term was used as a slogan as “_____: Democracy not found”.
In 2008, a study carried out by the telecommunications arm of the Post Office found that this term had become a slang synonym for "clueless" in the United Kingdom. Slang lexicographer Jonathon Green said that this term as a slang term had been driven by the "influence of technology" and young people, but at the time, such usage was relatively confined to London and other urban areas. Which term?
2) Halley's Comet.
3) Bhopal Gas disaster.
5) Once in a blue moon.
6) Theory of everything.
7) Fields Medal.
8) Happy ending problem.
9) X- woofer and Y- tweeter.
10) 404 or Error 404.
Latest posts by Gonit Sora (see all)
- Top Quality Help with Math’s and Science Homework and Assignment - August 4, 2017
- Top Revision Techniques in the Age of Digital Learning - May 18, 2017
- Few Problems - 3 - May 10, 2017