14 Sep Diligimus Cognition (We love knowledge) (2)
1. Yes, it has been cropped and edited; yet its all there in for you to tell what it is. So,just tell me what it is (as simple as that)?
2. Born near Edinburgh in Scotland, “X” lived for her entire life at the place of her birth. In course of her life,she gave birth to six progenies in total. Her first offspring was named Bonnie. A year later “X” gave birth to twins named Sally and Rosie.the twins were followed by a set of triplets the following year.The triplets were given the names Lucy, Darcy and Cotton. With age “X” was diagnosed with arthritis, but this was successfully treated with anti-inflammatory drugs.A couple of years later,however,“X” was offered euthanasia because she had a progressive lung disease.A post-mortem examination later revealed that “X” suffered from a certain form of lung cancer. Identify “X”.
3 . What exactly is the lady in the picture doing?
5. In mathematics “X” has the following properties: >Any “X” is a closed set. >The area of an “X” of a not identically zero polynomial in two complex variables is finite. >A two-dimensional “X” has a number of “tentacles” which are infinitely long and exponentially narrowing towards infinity. Again,in Biology “X”has the following properties: >“X”is a heterotroph that obtains its food through phagocyosis. >The most recognizable feature of “X” is the presence of one or more nuclei and the contractile vacuole that maintains osmotic equilibrium. >In the biological world “X” is considered remarkable for its very large genome. In both the fields “X” is a common term.Give me “X” .
7. While trying to synthesize the anti-malaria drug quinine as a challenge from his professor, this ardent student of 18 years oxidized aniline using potassium dichromate in course of one of his attempts. Under these conditions, the aniline reacted with toluidine impurities in it to produce a black solid, a fairly common result in “failed” organic syntheses. As he was cleaning out his flask the young chemist observed that some component of the black solid dissolved in alcohol to give a purple-colored solution. A perfect example of serendipity!This observation led to the discovery of a commercially as well as scientifically significant substance. What was the discovery and name the person behind it!
- What Historical Landmark?
9. According to one of its co-founders,the nomenclature of “X” has been inspired by a poem written more than 800 years ago during the Song Dynasty. The particular piece of poetry compares the search for a retreating beauty amid chaotic glamour with the search for one’s dream while confronted by life’s many obstacles. Established in 2000, “X” is registered in the Cayman Islands and on December 2007 became the first company of its country to be included in theNASDAQ-100 index. In its field “X”is the No. 1 company in its native country, controlling 63 percent of the nation’s market share as of January 2010, according to iResearch. Identify this company.
Answers:- 1. It is the first title page of the journal “Nature” that was published in the year November 4.1869 2. X=Dolly (The world’s first cloned mammal). 3. She is filtering water using a “Life Straw” ( LifeStraw is a water filter designed to be used by one person to filter water so that they may safely drink it). 4. International Year Of Forests 2011 logo (The United Nations Has declared 2011 as the International Year Of Forests, IYoF). 5. X= Amoeba 6. The connection is “World Ozone Day” >The Bollywood movie “Mausam” releasing on 16th September >That’s Mt Royal in Canada after which the Canadian city of Montreal is believed to have been named >That is a tassle garment which if closely observed reveals a bent “V-pattern” in white over a red background. *16th September is celebrated as World Ozone Day. *World Ozone Day is celebrated on 16th September every year since 1994 to commemorate the signing of the Montreal Protocol on that date in 1987. *The molecular structure of Ozone is somewhat akin to a bent V-pattern structure. 7. The discovery of Mauveine aka aniline purple -the first synthetic organic chemical dye- by William Henry Perkin. 8. The Ytterby mine in Sweden: Here four rare earth minerals have been discovered, yttrium (Y), ytterbium (Yb), terbium (Tb) and erbium (Er). 9. Baidu (The highly popular search engine amongst the Chinese netizens). 10. Prasanta Chandra Mahalanobis.
© Salik Miskat Borbora.
Managing Editor of the English Section, Gonit Sora and Research Associate, Cardiff University, UK.