23 Nov Diligimus Cognition (We Love Knowledge) (3)
1.The name of this particular company is is derived from the names of two elements osmium and tungsten as both these elements were commonly used for lighting filaments at the time the company was founded.
Identify the company.
- Cover Page of a book on the life of?
3.You know what to do.[The pic towards which all other pics are pointing forms the basis of the connection]
I need a complete explanation
- The name of this particular statistical hypothesis test co-incidently shares its name with the surname of a popular fictional character who is an overachiever ,doing exceptionally well in her academics. The creator of the fictional series describes the character as “very logical, upright and good“.
Coming back to the “statistical hypothesis test”, the test is basically used for determining whether one time series is useful in forecasting another. The technique has found widespread use in the field of neuroscience. Give the name of the test in question which has been named after a Nobel Laureate in Economics?
- # With which Olympic sport would one associate this mathematical co-efficient:
6.Widely used in medical research and medicine,this phenomenon or effect is related to the importance of perception and the brain’s role in physical health.Referred to as the “____________”this phenomenon has been controversial throughout the annals of medical science. Notable medical organizations have endorsed it, but certain sections in the scientific world conclude that it should be avoided because it is deceptive.The oft used term for this effect has its roots in the Latin language,which translates into English as“I will please”.It was first used in a medicinal context in the 18th century. The term describes the medical improvement in a patient’s health on being administered an inert substance .Give me the term or the phenomenon.
- Apart from their apparent use, X are also used metaphorically, as a design paradigm, known as the “X principle “. It denotes a recognizable relationship of “object-within-similar-object” that appears in the design of many other natural and man-made objects.
Identify X,the earliest pictures of which is given below:
9.The term XY consisting of two words describes an accident in the nuclear reactor that is characterized by the severe meltdown of the core components of the reactor. These components then burn through the containment vessel and the housing building, then notionally through the crust and body of the Earth until reachingX. The meltdown generally begins with the loss of coolant fluid in a reactor vessel, and the partial or complete exposure of the fuel element assemblies.One of the earliest use of this term can be traced back to a an article(Thoughts on Nuclear Plumbing by former Manhattan Project nuclear physicist Ralph Lapp) that appeared in 1971.
It is held that the geographic, planet-piercing concept that we get from this term derives from the misperception that X is the antipode of the United States.
Give the variables,
10.The person who initiated the signing of this pact described the circle as representing the totality of culture, with the three dots being Art, Science, and Religion, three of the most embracing of human cultural activities. He also described the circle as representing the eternity of time, encompassing the past, present, and future. Identify the historic pact and the symbol below:
- Osram(‘Os’ from Osmium and ‘ram’ from Wolfram which is the German name for Tungsten).
- Henrietta Lacks (Of the HeLa cells fame)
3. All these are the names of bacteria, the names being given after places and people related to India.
Bacillus cecembensis(Named after CCMB,Hyderabad)
Pedobacter himalayensis(Named after the Himalayan mountains)
Bacillus isronensis(Named after ISRO)
Arthrobacter gangotriensis(Named after Dakshin Gangotri,the stamp commemorating the start of postal services at India’s research station inAntarctica)
Bacillus aryabhattai(Named after Aryabhatta)
Indibacter alkaliphilus(Named after India)
The word bacteria has been derived from the Latinised word for staff or cane. The man with the staff signifies bacteria .
- The Granger causality Test [The fictional character referred to here is Hermione Granger from the Harry Potter Series]
5. Olympic Weightlifting.
This is the Sinclair co-efficient that is used to compare different weight classes in weightlifting.
- Placebo effect
- The connection is Traveller’s Diarrhoea
Local names of Traveller’s diarrhea in different places are:
Flag of cairo(“Cairo Two Step” in Egypt)
Mahatma Gandhi(“Gandhi’s revenge” in India)
Montezuma(“Montezuma’s revenge” in Mexico)
New Delhi(“Delhi Belly” in Delhi)
Bali starling(“Bali belly” in Bali,Indonesia)
Map showing Rangoon(“Rangoon runs” in Myanmar).
- Matryoshka doll (Matryoshka principle).
Y=syndrome.The term is China Syndrome.
10. Roerich’s Pact( Nicholas Roerich)
Pax Cultura (“Cultural Peace” or “Peace through Culture”) emblem. On April 15, 1935 the Roerich Pact was signed by the United States and Latin American nations, agreeing that “historic monuments, museums, scientific, artistic, educational and cultural institutions” should be protected both in times of peace and war, and identified by their flying a distinctive flag, theBanner of Peace, bearing the Pax Cultura emblem.
© Salik Miskat Borbora.
Managing Editor of the English Section, Gonit Sora and Research Associate, Cardiff University, UK.