07 May Pi quiz
1. Mathematician Irving Kaplansky has given music to only one song in his entire professional career, which was written by Enid Rieser and became quite popular in the last decade. What was the song?
2. For what folly will the House Bill No. 246 of the Indiana State Assembly infamous in mathematical history?
3. The author was Dr. Edward Johnston Goodwin, it was introduced by a Mr. Taylor I. Record, a representative of Possey country on January 18,1897. What was it?
4. What is so unique about the short story, “Circle Digits-A self referential story” written by Michael Keith?
5. The Old Testament, 1 Kings 7:23 says: “Also, he made a molten sea of 10 cubits from brim to brim, round in compass, and 5 cubits the height thereof; and a line of 30 cubits did compass it round about.” What is the mathematical fallacy of this?
6. Who said: “The race of circle squares’, will never die out as long as ignorance and the thirst for glory remain united”?
7. What is so special about the museum ‘Palais de la decouverte’ in Paris, Av. Franklin Roosevelt?
8. Who is the poet: “As the geometer his mind applies/ To square the circle, nor for all his wit/Finds the right formula, how’er he tries……”?
9. What does Google do each day as a tribute to Pi?
10. What is the unique status enjoyed by Pi in the movie world, which no other universal mathematical constant enjoys?
1. “A song about Pi”.
2. It tried to fix a legal value of 3.2 for Pi.
3. House Bill No. 246 of the Indiana State Assembly, which tried to fix a legal value of Pi.
4. The first short story to be a Pi digits mnemonic.
5. It gave the value of Pi as 3.
6. The great philosopher Schubert.
7. Only museum in the world to have a Pi room.
8. Dante Alighieri (Paradise, Canto XXXIII).
9. A sea monster comes out in the iGoogle beach theme each day at 0314 hrs.
10. Only such constant to be made into a movie with its name (Pi-The Movie, 1997).
-Manjil P. Saikia.
Managing Editor of the English Section, Gonit Sora and Research Fellow, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Vienna.